Mary asked:

I have a friend who received an annulment. She later remarried again outside the Church but can’t receive communion. What does she need to do to receive?

Jimmy Akin replied:

"She would need to regularize her marital situation in one of two ways. Either she needs to get married to her current civil spouse. That would involve typically ... having the marriage convalidated and there’s typically a renewal of vows ... having a small private wedding in the Church. Or she needs to not be leading a conjugal life with her present civil spouse, but live as brother and sister. Either one of those would result in her being in a regular state where she could go to confession and lead a normal sacramental life."

Mark's take:

Much like RCIA classes, convalidation processes can vary widely from parish to parish. If you feel the journey being put in front of you is too arduous at your parish, inquire at another. You might be surprised.


Catholic Answers, "Open Forum" (San Diego: Catholic Answers, 2013)

Editor's note: This is an excerpt of the answer provided. For the complete response download the podcast.

Click icon for archived podcast answering this question in its entirety.

Show air date: September 19, 2013

Name of show: Open Forum

Guest comments by: Jimmy Akin

Question appeared in show: 5:00

Social: Share:

This site is dedicated to the Immaculate Conception.

"...and upon this rock I will build My Church..." Matthew 16:18